My name is Nikki and I have liver cancer.

Hello. My name is Nikki and I have liver cancer.

The new normal.

You see, that wasn't the intention for 2017, but that is where we are at. 

I always thought that I was someone who had a plan, who lived with intention. Like so much so that when I got a B in elementary school, I was terrified I wouldn't get into college. Anyways, now, the plan is different and so, the intentions must be revised and renewed.

I'm just shy of 30 years old. I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I'm in the middle of an MBA program, a full time job I worry too much about, a leader in several prominent organizations and an overall busy body. Airplanes are more comfortable than taxis and because I'm all over the world...my friends and family are too. Somewhere in it all, I found an amazing, supportive husband, John. 

This is us, not so long ago. I love this photo. Its how I picture us in my head all the time. Lean, health, fit and happy. I want to get back here.


So, this is my new path. One day at a time, step by step, live my life with this disease with new renewed intentions for 2017.

I'll also post updates on "the plan" and my treatment here for my friends and family wishing to stay updated. This is obviously still very difficult for me to discuss in person and on the phone, as I continue to process, but I have found writing to be the most therapeutic method of sharing for now.   

Comments

  1. If support from friends and family have anything to do with getting you healthy, then you will come through with flying colors. The flood of prayers, good thoughts, ju-ju, healthy vibes, and supreme energy will be hitting you with so much force it will make your head spin. The incredible strength we all know you have within along with all the strength coming from your outside supporters is real and formidable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all love you Nikki. We will be here praying for positive treatment results so you can be back to to the perfect picture quickly and painlessly. XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you girl. Even though we don't talk much, you have always been a woman I looked up to and respected, more than anything because of your extraordinary strength and confidence. Hang in there and know you are in my thoughts every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a 2 yr colon cancer survivor, I know how difficult it is to find out you have cancer and then figure out how to deal with it. I know you're a strong amazing woman with a great support system and you will beat this! You will be in my prayers and I will be sending positive/healing thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my hippo loving Nikki....I have no idea what you are going through but know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. If from Illinois I can do anything for you, please don't hesitate to ask. I love you chic! HUGS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two time cancer survivor. Fuck cancer. Kill this bitch. Slay it. Beat the piss out of it. You GOT this. Xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. When you're up to it, call us. We have another friend, albeit much older, going thru the same thing. Was diagnosed about the same time last year. She had a very poor prognosis, but with the care of a great team of clinicians and friends, lots of trial and error, and a wild and colorful and remarkable attitude towards management she's now well pass where everyone thought she would be, she's traveling the world (at a slow pace, but she's still traveling), she's working with a medical group studying her outcomes and looking good. Would love to put you in touch with her. You'd like her. Hugs to you, John & Jana! Betty & Matt

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nikki,

    YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS! We may live across the country in New York, but if you need anything at all please don't hesitate to ask. I can't imagine what you are feeling at this moment. However, things happen in life that nobody can explain. But you just have to keep on moving forward and fighting. <3 Melissa & Jeffrey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nikki,
    You do have plans and intentions ! Don't let this take them away from you. So now after all the issues you were having before with no diagnosis it is finally nailed down to this. Now you know what your up against. You are one of the strongest willed persons I've ever known. You can beat this !

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nikki, Sending you love and more love as you process your current experience. I care about you and am sorry this happened to you. If you want to go sit in the park with a friend or go for a walk and not even talk, I am available. Please know I am here to support you in whatever way you need. Connie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment